ABOUT COORG / KODAGU
This vivacious district is characterised by thick forests and mountains on the western ghats. Its undulating landscape varies in altitude between 823 and 2700 m above sea level. The main agricultural produce of the region is coffee and rice while orange groves are also found in plenty. This district became part of Karnataka in 1956. The headquarters Mercara which has been re-christened as Madikeri lies at an altitude of 3781 ft above sea level. Spanning over an area of 4102 sq. km. the district has a population of 4,89,000 as per 2001 census.
Kodagu offers an interesting variety of landscape. The inhabitants of the district called the Kodabas are a race of soldiers. The dialect of these people is slightly different from that of others in other parts of Karnataka though the language is one and the same.
Merkara or Madikeri, the district headquarters had been the capital of the Helari Kings. This place gains historic importance from the monuments it holds. The meeting point of Cauvery and Kanike. Bagamandala has a famous Siva Temple. The Abbey Falls makes a fine picnic spot. Talacauvery, the legendary place from where the sacred river Cauvery originates, has a rare temple dedicated to Goddess Cauvery. The Bandipur Wildlife Sanctuary and the Nagarhole Wildlife Sanctuary unfold the hidden beauties of nature with the former one having been declared a ‘Tiger Project’ in 1973.